Install Android 2.3 Gingerbread on Motorola Droid
Tutorial: How To Install Android 2.3 Gingerbread on Motorola Droid / Motorola Milestone
Update: Cyanogen Mod 7 is out now for the Motorola Droid. I would recommend using the CM7 Android 2.3 Gingerbread ROM for your Droid. Use the same method described below, but use the CM7 ROM.
Install Android 2.3 on Motorola Milestone – Guide
Steps to Upgrade Motorola Droid to Android 2.3 Gingerbread
1. Go to Android Market and download ROM Manager.
2. Launch ROM Manager and select Flash Clockwork Mod Recovery to install the recovery image. Also backup your current ROM if you want.
3. Download the Android 2.3 Gingerbread ROM for Motorola Droid
4. Extract the Android 2.3 ZIP and copy it to SDcard > ClockworkMod > backup
5. in ROM Manager, go to Manage and Restore Backups and restore the new backup that you copied.
Your Motorola Droid should now be running Android 2.3 Gingerbread